The oldest and the primitive group of reptiles are known to be the turtles having to be e3veolved millions of years ago. They have hard shells that protect them from predators and they live all over the world in almost every type of climate. There are even other names with which people to the turtles as by the name of tortoise and terrapin. They spend most of their lives in water as they are adapted to live in the aquatic life.Turtles have webbed feet or flippers along with a streamlined body.
The process to step up the turtle tank
The keeping of the turtles is a difficult task and the caring of the turtle can be very relaxing but it needs the responsibility of setting up the turtle tank as it is an appropriate place or tank for keeping the aquatic or the semi-aquatic reptiles. There are various points one need to consider when it about setting of the turtle tank as given below:
- Choose a large, sturdy glass tank: A good turtle tank will have both water and land areas and the turtle tank should be a glass one as it provides roughly 10 to 15 gallons and the tank should have proper lighting and filtering. If it is about keeping more than one turtle the size of the tank should be accordingly. One should keep in mind that the tank should be deeper than it is wide.
- Provide a lamp: The turtle tank should have a lamp that hooks on to the turtle tank and the light needs to shine on the portion of the tank which is set aside as a basking area. One should consider running the light on a timer as to9n stimulate the natural light cycles. In order, for a good setup, the turtle tank should be in a good location.
- Always consider using a water heater: A good turtle tank should be using a fully submersible water heater to maintain a constant temperature year-round inside the tank. But one must always hide the heater behind a wall to prevent the turtle from breaking it.
- Install a good filter: The use of the3 filters is considered important as to successfully set up a good turtle tank as the turtles produce more waste as compared to the fishes, therefore, one should use the best filters as the tank will stay cleaner and the turtle will also be healthier.
- The best tank covers: one must always choose a heatproof metal screen to cover the top of the tank. Covers are very important for the turtle tanks as they protect the turtle from the potential threats like the broken lamp bubs.
How is the turtle tank water preparation?
Once the turtle tank set up os ready and ready to function, the water inside the tank needs to clean with the use of the friendly bacteria who are used to eat the ammonia and the other harmful chemicals in the water as to clean the water and even convert the less toxic chemicals. This process of getting the bacteria cleaned is known as the process of cycling also known as the nitrification cycle. One needs to do a few things to make it suitable for the turtles to live in the turtle tank.One of the main processes is to remove the chlorine and the chloramine followed by the friendly bacteria working as they live mainly on the biological part of the filter.
Choose a turtle tank filter
There are many different types of filters which are considered as important in the setting of the turtle tank. One should keep all the major point as to choose the best turtle tanks along with the best kind of filters as there are filters which allow the filtering process of a very shallow aquarium, and has a very low flow as they fo inside the turtle’s tank and take up the valuable swimming area. The filters which are usually quiet and have low maintenance they tend tonp[rovide a very strong flow and the filter capacity.
When it is about picking a filter, one should always choose one with a flow rate of approximately four times the number of the gallons of water being used as it is enough to push the debris and waste into the filter. The best turtle tanks have the filter system which even helps to oxygenate the water which is considered good for the beneficial bacteria.
How one makes the water check in the turtle tank?
The testing of the water in the tanks is very necessary to keep the turtles healthier. There are man water kits available in the market that helps one for monitoring on the Ph and the nitrogenous waste in the turtle tank which may include the nitrates, ammonia.there are some of the dips strips available which quickly informs the owners when toxin levels rise in the turtle tank and needed a water cleaning or filtering method. Apart from the dip strips, there are also full kits that are used to provide more accurate results.
How often to clean the turtle tank?
The water in the tank should be tested or cleaned every couple of weeks to test the ph level of the turtle swimming water. The water of the turtle should be cleaned as to even keep them alive for a longer pero\iod of time. one should replace the water in the tank at least once a week no matter it looks fine or not and one should clean the whole tank and refresh the filter every two or three weeks. One should never use the soaps or the detergents for cleaning the turtle tanks.
Therefore. with all the information is given above one planning to keep a turtle should always keep them in the turtle tank and should undertake all the measures to have the best turtle tanks as for the better maintenance of the turtle tanks and yo keep the turtles healthier.